What is a Carnot Institute?
The Carnot certification of excellence is awarded by the Carnot Committee through Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation to research institutions and endorsed by the National Agency.
These Carnot Institutes and more recently Carnot “Tremplin” are research structures that have been recognized for their scientific and technological skills and their ability to meet the research and innovation needs of companies.
The partnerships between Carnot institutes and companies can take different forms, including direct research, collaborative research, testing and trials on technological platforms, advice and expertise, or joint laboratories.
Sorbonne University has two Carnot institutes and two Carnot “Tremplin”:
- The Hear and See Carnot Institute (l’Institut Voir et entendu) represents one of the most important international centers for neurosensory research. It brings together:
- The See and Hear Foundation
- The Institute of Vision (Sorbonne University/INSERM/CNRS)
- The Genetics and Physiology of Hearing research unit (Sorbonne University/INSERM)
- The clinical investigation center of the national ophthalmology hospital of Quinze-Vingts
- The ICM Carnot Institute (Brain and Spinal Cord Institute) brings together:
- A research center
- A clinical investigation center
- An incubator of companies dedicated to diseases of the nervous system
- The Tremplin Carnot Interfaces Institute federates research around the theme "Man, the Digital World and their Interfaces":
- The Institute of Intelligent Systems and Robotics (ISIR - Sorbonne University/CNRS)
- The biomedical imaging laboratory (LIB - Sorbonne University/INSERM/CNRS)
- The laboratory of medical informatics and treatment of biomedical knowledge in e-health (LIMICS - Sorbonne University/University Paris 13/INSERM)
- The computer lab of Paris 6 (LIP6 - Sorbonne University/CNRS)
- Joint Research Unit Experimental and Clinical Respiratory Neurophysiology (Sorbonne University/INSERM)
- The Tremplin Carnot Smiles Institute (Mathematical Sciences for Innovation) specializes in mathematical modeling, numerical simulation, optimization and data science and brings together:
- The Jacques-Louis Lions laboratory (LJLL - Sorbonne University/Paris Diderot University/CNRS)
- The Institute of Computing and Data Sciences (ISCD - Sorbonne University)
These Carnot certifications are recognition of the effective collaboration conducted by Sorbonne University laboratories with companies for many years. They also reflect the willingness of research teams to work more and more with medium-sized companies, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and very small businesses.